Saturday, February 6, 2010

I Used To Sell Hot Dogs - Part I

I just walked out of a conversation with my girlfriend and her parents about politics. I know I have little time to be here without anyone noticing but I NEEDED this. I'm not trying to get away, but rather trying to write stuff down before I forget about it.

You might wonder why we're talking about politics to begin with, and if I'm allowed to, I think I can take credit for starting it all. While I was away for a few days visiting my best friend in the Bay area, I left Nickle and Dimed for my girlfriend to read, and we just asked her dad if he's read it. He said he hadn't and he said he didn't need to because he understood the whole plot.

Well in case you haven't read it, this book is about a journalist who takes a few low-paying jobs to see how the poor make it in America. And she realized that they don't. So he's a lawyer and I asked him if he really understood the plot. Then he began to tell me about all sorts of jobs he went though while in high school and college and how he's now a lawyer because he's worked for it. Then I guess he does get it, and I get it too.

I graduated from high school at 16- thanks to skipping a couple of grades, and college wasn't an option for me after I moved to the United States because of my little knowledge of English (However, I was just about to go to Engineering school in my country before I was forced to come here- I'm not complaining, just explaing); so work was my only destiny. Lucky me, I know. One of my faciest jobs was selling hot dogs.

I started really early in the morning and worked all the way 'til about 8pm or so. I was working more than eight hours a day before I was even 18. I was hired by friends of the family, who I think took advantage of my inexperience in the workforce (and even life itself).  But the deal seemed simple enough, I'd come and stay with them in their guest room, then work for them during the day, and then help them out with their baby at night- like I said, simple enough. I still remember vividly when they asked me what I wanted to do with my life and I said "well, once I save some money, I'd like to go to college!" they told me that what I had just told them was a very distant dream, and that I should buy a car instead, "that's what kids your age do!" I understand now that they just wanted me to get into a debt that would secure me as their employee for a while.

My first day:

It must have been 6.30am when my new boss had knocked at the door. "I'll be out in a minute!" I said half asleep. I remember wishing that I was waking up to go to class but I decided to be thankful that at least I had a roof to sleep under the night before. I washed my face and brushed my teeth and was out the door in no time.

I didn't really know at first why I was getting up so early, because I never thought that people would want a hot dog at 7am or anytime close to that, but then I found out that it takes a while to restock and get the cart ready to go.

On our way to wherever my spot was going to be, my boss even bought me an energy drink to hold me through the day- "trust me kiddo, you're gonna need it!" I looked up to him. After all, I was only 16 and he was a businessman and all.

Will continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is MUCH appreciated! So please leave a line below. . .