Sunday, March 21, 2010

Be Smart

I think some people underestimate parents. Yes they embarrass some of you, yes they hurt some of you- but some parents (not even mine) are the best example we could ever follow.

I'm 21 and trying to make my way through college (barely a Sophomore- if you didn't read it in my info). It's not easy and my best friend could tell you how much I struggle with money. I'm not too bad though, at least I'm in school and have a roof over my head. But let me get back to my initial point: Parents.

I was never taught anything useful by my parents about credit, or school, or life. Everything I know I've learned from other people, the internet, TV and good ol' experience. Now, I'm not trying to defame the two people that decided to get together and give me life, but rather put some facts on the table, because not knowing can hurt you lots.

I've had my share of late payments and overdrawn fees. I have no savings. I've lost money with silly decisions; and this list would make it to the moon if I keep going.

Yes, maybe I should have known better than to make a payment late and all that jazz, but in reality, if I had been told that I should shop around, read the fine print, look at interest rates and keep accurate payment dates, maybe I'd be in a different situation. So if you have no idea what I'm talking about, go spend your afternoon in GOOGLE researching how to get smarter about your finances. Otherwise, go pat your old man (or woman) on the back, they deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is MUCH appreciated! So please leave a line below. . .